Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My Broken Ankle: Week 5


Days 28-34 Look at that incredible shrinking leg! My right calf resembles an old lady's batwing and just hangs off the bones.  My knee looks huge in comparison.  It's fun getting to take my boot off for photo ops.

This week I had a major outing!  My parents came to town over the weekend and were a big help.  This was the second weekend they have come up to help out.  Dad assisted Hubby on re-building our deck and Mom helped inside, vacuumed the main floor and basement and most importantly, took me on a major outing.  This major outing was going to the indoor mall.  I rarely go to the indoor mall, but I needed to return some clothing I ordered for the girls that didn't fit.  We made a stop at 3 stores for the girls and then we swung into Bath & Body works to pick out new soaps and air fresheners.  They have everything pumpkin right now, and our house will smell like some version of pumpkin until next year.

I'd guess I was upright for over an hour on my knee scooter and my foot did not feel like it would explode. That is improvement.  However my knee felt like it might explode. They need a little more cushioning on those things for those of us who's legs have whittled away to pure bone.  Hence photo #1...

Day 33. Put my socks on and had to take a photo to show the difference in size of my left (good) ankle and my right (bad) ankle.  I then put a shoe on my right foot for the first time since the break.  I loosed up the lace about as much as I could to gingerly put my foot in.  It didn't hurt, but I was afraid it might.  I wasn't sure I would be able to get the shoe string tied.  I had just barely enough string to tie a little bow.

I jumped on my stationary bike (my triathlon bike mounted to a trainer) for 20 minutes at the lowest resistance with what I would guess was just 60 RPM.  The OS told me I was to use a stationary bike, not my bike on a trainer.  I don't know what the difference is exactly, but I tend to do my own thing anyway.

During my 20 minute spin my ankle was really stiff - not much flexing going on.  I had twinges of pain on the outside of my ankle bone (fibula) and the backside of my heel.  The heel seemed to loosen up as I pedaled. If I angled my foot just right the outer pain would stop, but it was hard to keep my foot at just the right angle.  Otherwise it didn't feel bad at all.  A little dissapointed I didn't work up a sweat or even breathe hard.  I'll add 5 minutes on tomorrow.  I'm not sure how much to push it.  I'll have to mount my bike computer and see what kind of cadence I'm keeping, then eventually try to up the cadence until I get to >80 rpm, this will come in time.

9 more days until I see the Dr.  I'll ask if he thinks my flu like symptoms are ongoing withdrawals or a possible metal allergy.

Day 34 - the end of week 5.  I chose not to take an allergy pill yesterday evening.  My aunt-in-law suggests that I am having continued withdrawal symptoms from the narcotics.  She convinced me to give up the allergy pill (aka mental cure). I woke up a bit achy in my neck, upper back, and shoulders this morning, the same feeling as when you are sick.  I took one naproxen and feel better this afternoon.

Today I also decided to get back to eating better.  I have sure appreciated all the delicious goodness people have brought over, but my stomach flab seems to be increasing and I don't like the look of it.  So, no more sugar for awhile...or at least not until I eat some. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment